Home           About Us           Why Adopt?           Why Ethiopia?           Noonday Collection           Contact Us

10.09.2010

Gifts

We've been in the midst of a "Birth-week Celebration"... In honor of Don's 30th birthday, I tried to think of something special for him each day of the past week (a small gift, a favorite dinner, chocolate milk (since he loves it so much), you get the idea...). Every day was a surprise, so he always had something to look forward to- it wasn't expensive and it didn't take that much time or effort, but (hopefully) it communicated my love and appreciation for him. In fact, it was so much fun that I plan on implementing this type of celebration when we have our children... we'll see. 


In the midst of this though I was reminded that the greatest gift I can give to Don as his wife is to nurture my own relationship with God. This "gift" will have much longer lasting effects and will bless him infinitely more than warm cinnamon rolls on a Sunday morning (though I know he appreciated those, too!). 



When I have learnt to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now. Insofar as I learn to love my earthly dearest at the expense of God and instead of God, I shall be moving towards the state in which I shall not love my earthly dearest at all. When first things are put first, second things are not suppressed but increased. 
~ C. S. Lewis, Letters of C.S. Lewis (8 November, 1952)



2 comments:

Corrie and Phil said...

It's nice for Don to have a "birth week" celebration since we get to have a "birth month!" I suppose it's only fair! :)

Ashley said...

Thanks for sharing this, Sara. I am SO thankful God chose you to be my brother's wife. You two are perfect together! :)