Home           About Us           Why Adopt?           Why Ethiopia?           Noonday Collection           Contact Us


Travel Update

I'm sorry for the delay... I know many of you have been wondering if we have heard anything from the embassy over the past two weeks. We have heard updates periodically, but most of them haven't given us any indication of when we'd be cleared to travel... until today. 

We were waiting on one last interview to take place, and we were hoping for an interview date of July 23rd. After this interview, we could be cleared the very same day. If we had gotten the 23rd, we would have jumped on a plane tomorrow, arrived on the 19th, and stayed for about a week. Instead we got an interview date of July 30. If we do clear on the 30th, we'll hopefully have the boys' visas on the 2nd or 3rd of August. Because of the delay we aren't going to be able to leave tomorrow in time for the boys' birthday, but God's timing is always right and we trust him. We've learned enough over the past years that God's ways are better than ours, and we can rest in that.

We are, however, going to hop on a plane next week before the interview and before we are cleared. The weight of waiting and the heaviness of missing our sons has gotten to be too much, and we are ANXIOUS to get them out of the orphanage and into our arms! 

I'm not sure if I'll post again before we leave, so here's how we'd LOVE for people to pray for us while we are gone:
  • Pray for the interview on the 30th and that we will be cleared immediately following it. If we don't clear on this date, our trip will be prolonged until we do clear and we're hoping to only be in Ethiopia for two weeks at the most, mostly because Don will need to go back to work.
  • Pray for the boys' hearts. When we take them from the orphanage, it will be the 4th transition to a new home and to new caretakers that they've had in their first year of life. Pray that God will keep them from fear and that they will feel the great love that we have for them.
  • Pray that God will use our extended time in Ethiopia to help the boys attach to us and to bond our family together before we come home.
  • Pray that we will be kept from sickness so that we will have strength to care for and love the boys in the way that we desire. 
  • Pray that we will be a blessing to all of the people that we come in contact with while we are in the country. We love Ethiopia, and we are looking forward to being there again! 
If we're able to get on our blog while in Ethiopia, I'll try to post another update. Thank you for praying for us and upholding us over all of these months/years. We are so close!


Hillary said...


Rochelle said...

Praying fervently, friends!! Thanks for the update - good to know specific ways we can pray for you all in the coming weeks. So thankful for God's sovereignty in your family's life - you'll have such a story to tell them as they grow up!! Rejoicing that you'll be back with them very soon and that you're totally trusting Him during this time. Hugs & safe travels!!

Danielle D. said...

Lifting you guys up in prayer! So encouraged by your words.. "but God's timing is always right and we trust him. We've learned enough over the past years that God's ways are better than ours, and we can rest in that."

The De Jager Family said...

Definitely praying for all of you as you begin this new chapter together. Prayers that everything clears quickly and you are able to be home together as a family as quickly as possible!

Sarah Cotton said...

I am actually encouraged that the interview is for the 30th and not prolonged later, and completely agree with you going next week. The heart can only wait so long! Will be praying for you ALL & can't wait to get the next update. Exciting times ahead!